Saturday, November 27, 2010

Beaver Creek

I have had the most wonderful opportunity to be chosen as an Artist in Residence for a week at Beaver Creek Valley State Park in the very southeastern corner of Minnesota that is know as the Blufflands and Driftless areas.  This is an area where no glaciers ever scoured the area and the valleys are just runoffs from melting glaciers many thousands of years ago.  
I had applied about 8-10 months prior to this on a road trip to explore all the Minnesota State Parks.  There was a brochure to apply for an artist residency, I did, but never expecting to be able to make it happen as I spend  7 to 8 months a year in Antarctica.  I was "On-Ice" when an email came from Anne Selness, Park Manager of BCVSP.
Even though the request for residency was a month before I was due to leave Palmer Station, I had already booked a full summer.  But this was an opportunity I did not want to let fly bye.  Anne helped me find a niche in her scheduled Artists and I ended up being at BCVSP the early part of May, just a week from coming off the "Ice".  
The park has a picnic shelter that is large enough for all campers to have a lovely time in during inclement weather.  It boasts a huge fireplace.
The Shelter is not too far from the Creek so you can visit the creek, fish, picnic, sit along the shoreline and contemplate the water as it flourishes past, shallow, inviting, but still a bit too fast for wading unless in a leeway.
The artist's studio was just off the main shelter room.  Complete with great lighting, electricity and a heater if needed.  
Within hours, it was transformed ...
I took hikes every day, spent time in the studio, gave a workshop in oil-tinting photographs.  I even gave a lecture on time in Antarctica and had a ball.  
The staff at Beaver Creek were very nice, helpful and would listen to stories even if they were busy.  I enjoyed great customer service from all.  
I also visited the nearby Caledonia where I did my grocery shopping and an occasional Dairy Queen stop! It was a great little town and I hope to go back to visit again.
Read on for more details of the things I encountered for just a week...

1 comment: